The Betty Wang Discovery Fund is to be used by the Dean of the College of Science to support College faculty by maintaining state-of-the-art laboratories to advance fundamental discoveries in the basic sciences.
The award is intended to support equipment acquisitions and laboratory infrastructure improvements, broadly defined.
The College and fund will distribute $30,000 annually. The minimum request is $5,000.
Awardees must expend funds within one year of award date.
Tenured and tenure-track faculty in the College of Science
December 15, 2018 and annually thereafter
If the 15th falls on a weekend, the proposals will be the next business day.
Proposal Guidelines and Reporting
The project description is limited to two pages, and it must include the following sections:
- Description of equipment or infrastructure improvement
- Demonstration of need
- Project Plan
- Relationship to current or planned federal & industrial funding
- For equipment requests, describe plans to operate and maintain instrument
Append to the project description a 2-page biographical sketch for each participant.
Awardee must submit a report describing the outcomes of the award and how it has contributed to improving prospects for extramural funding. The report is due within one year of the award date.
Email one combined pdf to bettye [dot] maddux [at] oregonstate.edu by the deadline.
Proposal review criteria
- Does the proposal describe a well-defined obstacle to original or transformative research that can be overcome via an equipment acquisition or laboratory infrastructure improvement?
- Is the need clearly demonstrated?
- Are the immediate outcomes clear?
- Does the proposal describe in specific, rather than general terms, how the proposed effort expands research opportunities on campus?
Cost sharing is not required.
Learn more about
back to Research and Innovation Seed Funding Program